Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Friends

My friends and immediate family are the only things in this existence that I value. But whereas my parents, brother and sister are pretty much stuck with having to like me, my friends have willingly chosen to do so. This might not seem a big deal to many people, but it is all-important to me.

I’m not the kind of person whom others generally go out of their way to hang out with. Hell, even my friends rarely call me- I have to call them. I’m never the center of attention or the leader of a group. I am not good at being cheery and appropriate. I’m not affable. I loathe small-talk. I’m not going to pretend to like you. Let’s face it- I’m not an easy friend. I’m fiercely independent, overly-opinionated, bizarrely passionate (I recently broke into tears while futilely trying to convince a friend that Yoko Ono is a brilliant singer), inappropriately hyper, stingingly critical, annoyingly honest, offensively perverse, incredibly incredulous, frustratingly logical and undeniably selfish.

And yet, occasionally, someone chooses to befriend me.

Understandably, I’ve never been a person with a lot of friends. I went to an elementary school with 18 kids in my class, but none of them would have qualified as anything other than acquaintances. Growing up, my friends were imaginary and my sister. It wasn’t until I moved after sixth grade that I first starting hanging out with peers. Throughout junior high, Bryan, Erik and I were inseparable- well except that Erik and I became jealous of each other because we both wanted to be Bryan’s “best” friend. But after the beginning of tenth grade, when Bryan got himself expelled, I spent most of high school alone and confused. I’ve often dwelled on the fact that I had no friends then, but in truth, I did know a couple of great people and even had a girlfriend. It’s only recently that I’ve realized that during that time I consciously avoided associating with the majority of my peers in order to protect myself from being “corrupted” by them.

It wasn’t until the second semester of my sophomore year in college that, for the first time in my life, I met a group who let me into their clique and seemed to enjoy me just being me. A few years after that, I met another group of people with whom I became extremely close. Around 2000, much of my surprisingly large web of friends and I decided to leave Iowa behind. I spent six years in the San Francisco Bay Area, where I hardly made any friends. Were it not for that experience, I might have never realized that living in a great place and pursuing one’s dreams were not nearly as important as having friends nearby.

I moved to Portland to be close to old friends, and upon moving here I immediately made new ones. I feel blessed to be surrounded by friends. In two days, I will be spending Thanksgiving with a few of the people I am most thankful for.

In the coming weeks, I plan on using this blog to try to show my appreciation by sharing my thoughts on and stories about my closest friends. Don’t worry- I won’t use last names.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Andrew! No big plans here other than to make dinner and just hang out.

Have a great holiday.

Olive Bread said...

Hey, you selfish prick... your college friends over in Iowa are hanging out and having good times and sometimes bring up "that Crazy Andrew" in late night reminiscing stories. Any time you want to break away from P town friends and come visit- your family isn't here anymore but I can think of at least 10 people that would love to see you again!

oudev oida said...

I regret this post disses the friends, like James, I made while living in the Bay Area. That wasn't my intention- I met some great people and made some good friends. I guess the main difference is that when you enter college straight from high school, you find yourself with a whole bunch of people looking to make new friends since they, like you, are probably on their own for the first time in their lives. Portland, being a small town and having a lot of transients, has a similar feel to college.

But in the Bay Area, the people I met already generally had their peer groups established. Most of them were married with families and such. Also, it is so expensive there that people are generally too stressed out trying to make ends meet to have the time to just hang out. Third, the place is so spread out and trafficy: it was at least an hour drive to get to any friend's place.

oudev oida said...

oh risa i can't use that excuse anymore- my brother lives in Cedar Rapids now. Let me think of another one- oh yeah- IOWA SUCKS!

Anonymous said...

No offense taken.

I've been preparing for a performance with a children's choir this coming Sunday.

Earlier, I was thinking that practice is a lot like warming up an engine. In the old days, it seemed that I was constantly fine-tuning engines, only to be directed to a dirt parking lot.

I wanted to let you know that the memorial performance for our colleague has been postponed indefinitely. I don't have a timetable for the concert. There just hasn't been the musician interest that I expected.

Take care and all good wishes for the Holidays.

oudev oida said...

i'm sorry to hear about the memorial concert. i've already had a frustrating day but you've just managed to increase my frustration! i don't need to tell you most musicians are only interested in themselves, just like most venues are only interested in money and most audience are only interested in how good your light show is....

speaking of which, i have several gigs with Jim Ryan in the coming days. had one sunday that was, ahhh, phhht.

i was gonna post a new blog today but i'm not in the right mood (would probably write something regrettable) so stay in touch and i'll get something soon.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Andrew. I've been working steadily on open forms, which can be freely interpolated and compressed, at will. The flexible structures aren't really popular with "jazz" musicians here, which I suspect is why I don't hear from them.

Good luck on your shows.