Friday, December 28, 2007

Priorities

The shortest answer to the question, “What is existence?” for humans anyway, must be “prioritizing.” Our priorities affect every action, sense, belief and decision in our life. A cursory glance at this blog reveals much about my priorities. A quick comparison of blogs on this site will demonstrate how priorities vastly differ between people.

Recently, I have been asking people “What is one movie you think everyone should see, and why?” I am curious to infer how their answers reflect their priorities. I have mostly given up on any notion that the movies recommended are actually worth seeing, especially since the first one mentioned was Waking Life, which turns out to be an absolutely terrible movie in which, for the most part, a bunch of stoners talk gibberish. Actually, I do want to see Brain Donors, which apparently stars John Turturro whom I love. Someone dared say The Passion of the Christ, to which I am proud so say I responded with only a (fake) smile.

Recurring factors pop up in determining the movie to choose. The most common are the genre-defining movie, the lesson movie, the favorite movie and the pop-culture reference movie.

My must-see movie choices usually fall within the genre-defining category. My guess is that this tends to signify someone whose primary interest is in the medium of movie making itself. My answer to the question was Raging Bull, mostly because it is the most perfect movie I have ever seen. The action, acting, dialogue, screenplay, choreography, cinematography, sound, directing and editing are all unsurpassed. The only other movie I can think of which contains all these qualities is Akira Kurosawa’s Yojimbo. Initially, my claim was going to be that I’m not a person who necessarily values a lesson movie. Those people tend to prioritize things like truth and right and wrong; ideas that, according to my perception, tend to be exaggerated social control mechanisms, so I don’t give them much credence. But interestingly, both movies I just named are about integrity and trust/mistrust, things I contemplate and esteem above most other things, so perhaps I am bullshitting myself.

The genre-defining people (and others, actually) generally follow up my initial question with “In what genre?” I think this is a valid question. The one comedy I think everyone should see is Monty Python’s Quest for the Holy Grail. This is a movie pop-culture reference lovers will name. People that choose movies for this reason are trendy, social, extroverted creatures. Since I am not what you’d call sociable and have never been hip to the whole pop culture thing, that is not my reason for choosing it. In my opinion, Holy Grail is the movie by which all other comedies must be judged. It literally redefined the genre, as nothing like it came before it (except of course the greatest television show of all time, Monty Python’s Flying Circus). It contains every style of humor, culls a laugh at least every 30 seconds and only gets funnier upon repeated viewings. Sure, Monty Python’s Life of Brian has the most bizarre animated interruption and greatest ending of any movie ever made, but the pacing isn’t quite as good. Besides, it’s the sequel that would have never happened if it weren’t for the success of Holy Grail.

That said, Holy Grail is my second favorite comedy. My favorite comedy is The Big Lebowski. But my opinion is that many other factors must be taken into consideration besides it being your favorite. There’s something shallow about wanting all others to see your favorite movie. It’s fun to share things you like with others, but is it really that important or essential? I encourage my friends to see my favorite movies, but they’re not for everybody. I include Tombstone and the Lone Wolf and Cub series as personal favorite movies, and I can give no reason why anyone else should see them.

My sister’s choice was Life Is Beautiful. This is a very interesting choice. It is my sister’s favorite movie, and a unique blend of comedy, tragedy, fantasy and reality. It’s a lesson movie, ultimately about the protective role of delusion in providing hope and meaning to an otherwise unbearable existence. It’s a movie appropriate for all people of all ages. God damn, I think my sister has given me the best answer so far, but I would love to hear others.


Incidentally, a similar question, “What is one song you think everyone should hear, and why?” could be asked, but the answer is so obvious (Koko, by Charlie Parker, because it’s incredible and it single-handedly changed American music) that I dare not ask the question because the ludicrous answers of others and the inevitable question “Who’s Charlie Parker?” would only strengthen my hatred of humanity.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I rarely go to the movies anymore. However, I did enjoy the new Will Smith film, "I Am Legend". Although its premise is far-fetched, I was quickly drawn into the world of the film. Escapist entertainment is what Hollywood does best!

Yojimbo is indeed a classic; very expertly constructed. Regrettably, Mifune Toshiro is no longer with us.

Re: Bird -- I got into his music during the 1980s, after listening to Jackie McLean. I bought a mountain of McLean LPs at a shop called Dedicated Record Collector in San Jose, which has since closed.

There was some good stuff happening around here, way back when. Chet Baker was playing bars in the area. He was an ex-junkie and looked terrible -- very gaunt and sickly -- but played beautifully. There was a piece called "Night Byrd" that was very much along the lines of Donald Byrd's modal style. It's in C minor, if memory serves me correctly...

Anonymous said...

dear friend/ i am utterly unsettled by question words unmarked by the question signs/ the feeling of emptiness they create is as white as yes - but if the moment is staged right (the ladder? the climber) meaning seeps through/ how everything relates! and the fit of grandiose at experiencing someone's word - when everything falls in its place. movies to watch - eric rohmer's moral tales - because they came at the right moment. but then everything does because the moment is always right - then why this feeling of guilt lately? a sign of grandiose again - everybody is drowning and suffering because of me. maybe its my ultimate border of interpretation - can't shake off the feeling that the world revolves around me/ but in a saner note - happy new year

Olive Bread said...

MOVIE: FLASHDANCE.
REASON: It makes you want to dance. And it shows how you can take all these different parts of your everyday life and combine them into the big finale, your inner dream... what a feeling!

oudev oida said...

oh man- flashdance absolutely sucks! i dated this girl that had to watch it all the time (well at least twice which is more than too much). there is nothing redeeming about this movie- the acting is awful, the music and dancing is pathetic and the bullshit lie that some stripper is gonna land a paying dancing job is insulting.

but what do i know?

anonymous- are you referring to rohmer's 4 season cycle? i'll give it a try but i've already read a comparison with pascal's wager which i have a huge problem with (it's not even a paradox).

oudev oida said...

nevermind, i figured out the moral tales. the first two are in my netflix cue....

speaking of french directors, i just watched Renoir's Rules of the Game which was fantastic. reminded me of Fitzgerald's Gatsby. also appreciated that the director didn't insult the audience's intelligence with a lot of plot exposition (in this way reminded me of the great japanese directors like kurosawa, shinoda, okamoto, kobayashi and ozu). the characters are all people- no bad guys, no good guys- just people.

oudev oida said...

update: brain donors was total crap. the only funny moment was at the very end when they make the guy spin around until he pukes. if you're going to make a marx brothers wannabe movie, you'd better have a Harpo.

oudev oida said...

okay, finally watched the first two episodes of Rohmer's Moral Tales. they're shortish vignettes about 18 year old assholes manipulating each other. I don't get why those weren't just written as short stories and published in the French version of the New Yorker and be done with it. At least I would have enjoyed reasing them and then forgotten about them. No reason to waste the film as there was nothing to watch except as a lesson in overdirecting- you can practically hear the guy saying, "look him in the eyes, look down, look him in the eyes again..." If you're gonna use the medium, use the medium!

needless to say i won't waste any more of my precious time by watching the other four.