Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Random

Sorry for the lag in posts. I'm actually being productive. Here's some misc. thoughts that ran through my head last Saturday:

Attempting to find out what you want to do with your life is worthwhile. Expecting to find out what you want to do with your life is futile.

No matter how much you enjoy stouts, red wines and cognacs, never drink all three simultaneously.

The depths of my weaknesses seem directly proportional to the sum of my strengths.

“Our children are our future” is probably the most obvious thing anybody has said as if it were somehow profound.

The only mistake greater than having not learned from it is having not recognized it.

I make more mistakes than most people, which is probably why I get more right.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"No matter how much you enjoy stouts, red wines and cognacs, never drink all three simultaneously."

Would that be shaken or stirred? It makes a difference, and I've seen the results.

"The depths of my weaknesses seem directly proportional to the sum of my strengths."

This may be the sharpest statement I've read/heard all week. Thanks.

Yours,
X

oudev oida said...

Although I was referring to lining them up and alternating between them (after bloody mary's and a large meal), it would definitely need to be shaken. Cocktail making tip: the more dissimilar combined items are, the harder you have to work (ie shake) to force them to blend.

Shouldn't the second quote read "inversely proportional?" I've forgot math but I'm going to change it to that anyway.

oudev oida said...

I hate that you can't edit comments! What does mary own? erase that apostrophe!

oudev oida said...

okay sorry. just thinking if you you shake the stout it'll go flat. it'd be better to make a pousse-cafe and float the three, although I guess I don't know the relative weights of those three so would have to experiment to know the order.

Anonymous said...

I really preferred, "directly proportional." Wouldn't 'inversely proportional' mean that weaknesses diminish as strengths add up? The way you had written it previously, delivered a paradoxical insight upon me that I greatly appreciated.

I start to think about the depths of weakness like the crevasse between the mountains of strength. As I develop my strengths, new weaknesses appear. Every time I conquer, I start to see smaller and smaller achievements of everything I have done previously. The amount I learn seems directly proportional to the exponential amount that I do not know.

Oh, yeah, the bloody marys, too. Add that to the mix and you've got a smelly mess.

X

oudev oida said...

i'll leave it as it originallly was then. hell if i know what it means. i was thinking of it in the sense that my character traits tend to produce helpful and hurtful abilities or impulses in equal proportions that balance each other out or act symbiotically. for example, a lot of people find me irritating to be around and i enjoy spending time alone. things like that that sort of go hand in hand.