Wednesday, March 23, 2011

More Manhattans

In response to recent comments left by two of my most loyal readers, I made cherry syrup last week. Not being in the mood for macerating, I bought the only 100% cherry juice I could find at Hy-Vee, which was actually black cherry juice. The result was definitely not anything like grenadine (duh) but was also more than simply for color, as it does taste like sugary black cherries (duh).

I then spent the next several days trying to make a delicious Manhattan, as that’s the only drink I’ve heard of that bartenders sometimes use cherry syrup in. While it was possibly the first cocktail I learned how to make, I’m not actually a big fan. In fact, I don’t think I’ve enjoyed drinking one since running out of Molly’s delicious brandy-soaked (I think that’s what they were) cherries that made anything taste good. However, I am currently reading the informative book, “The Joy of Mixology,” by Gary Regan, a true cocktail-making expert, and the Manhattan is his favorite drink.

Allow me to break the drink down into its component elements and possible variations: (1)The base liquor can be either rye whiskey or bourbon, and my cupboard limited me to Russell Reserve rye and Weller’s Reserve bourbon. (2)The next ingredient is sweet vermouth, and I had Noilly Pratt and Carpana Antica in stock. (3)The drink needs bitters, and although I’ve always used Angostura, Regan suggests trying Peychaud’s or orange bitters. (I did not try orange bitters). (4)Although not a “correct” ingredient, it is common to add simple syrup, juice from the cherry jar or cherry syrup. (5)Shaken or stirred? (Rule of thumb: if the drink doesn’t contain any non-alcoholic ingredients, stir.) (6)Finally, the drink is usually garnished with a cherry, but Regan suggests a lemon twist instead.

When thoroughly explored, it becomes quickly obvious that even a simple drink can be made any number of ways. And that’s not even taking various ratios into consideration. I think I only made two variations using the cherry syrup before I decided it was a sure-fire way to ruin the drink. After two days without drinking anything worth drinking, I took a day off to drink Old Fashioneds (I have no idea whether that’s the correct plural form of Old Fashioned), a drink which I love that is essentially a Manhattan without the vermouth. (I wonder if anybody has ever thought to substitute gin for whiskey in an Old Fashioned and call it an Old-tini?)

On testing day three, I took a sip of the following: 2 oz rye, ¾ oz Carpano and 2 dashes Angostura stirred- by this time I had experimented enough to confirm following the shake/stir rule of thumb does work best- and it was delicious. I then threw in a maraschino garnish which instantly ruined the drink. Frustratingly, I had just used up the last of the rye. I made another using bourbon instead of rye and a lemon twist instead of a cherry. It was good but not incredible. After that, I made a Lucien Gaudin and, while stirring, realized the total cost of the bottles I was using to make that 3 ounce plus melted ice sized drink was around $120. Jesus.

Incidentally, I was just surprised to find I’d written on Manhattans once before for this blog several years ago. It made for a funny read, as it brought to light both things I knew and things I didn’t know back then. I certainly no longer advocate the recipe I recommended on that post.

No comments: