Saturday, June 21, 2008

Passive/Aggressive Communication

I’m not the only person who, after a conversation, ponders why I handled it in the manner I did, but I might do it more than most. I will be moving soon, and my current landlord just called and gave me a ten minute lecture on how we need to clean up the house and the yard so she can show it to prospective renters next week.

I found her nervous tirade annoying for several reasons: it happened at 9am on Saturday morning, the entire conversation falls under the heading “No shit, Sherlock,” we already discussed it when I gave our notice, I’m the only one home which means now I’m going to spend my Saturday cleaning this place by myself when most of the shit in this place isn’t mine and I have friends visiting from out of town (well Eugene, less than two hours away) this weekend and last but not least I freaking run a housecleaning business for crying out loud, which means the place will get cleaned and I get (and give I’ll admit) lectures about cleaning on a daily basis.

I could have been agreeable and assured her things would be clean, but I instead chose to basically pretend I didn’t know what she was talking about. The downside to this tactic is that it caused her to lengthen and intensify her rant in a desperate effort to get through to me. The upside is that now she’s going to spend the weekend worrying that she won’t be able to rent the place, which I feel is appropriate because her being able to rent this place is the least of my problems right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck with the move! I know that drill all too well. The most recent one was just over two years ago. It's not like the old days, where I could throw everything in the back of the car, and be set for another term at university.

oudev oida said...

well luckily i can still throw all my stuff in my car. plus i'm moving about 1/2 mile. in a lot of ways i'm looking forward to it.

Olive Bread said...

between the drums and the cleaning supplies, is there still room left in the car? Oh, wait, you only have 2 t shirts and one pair of pants.