Thursday, February 19, 2009

Homelessness

I have a real affinity for homeless people. I loved the homeless all around in San Francisco, and find myself missing them here. It irks me when others refer to the “homeless problem.” What’s the problem? As far as I’m concerned the far bigger problems in this society include capitalism, greed, property ownership and snobbery.

People with money can kiss my ass. Capitalism is based on the realization that you can make money by convincing others to do your job for less than what it’s worth. There are few ways to become rich other than by sheer luck, scamming others or inheritance. Don’t even try to tell me you work hard for your money. You want to experience hard work? Try being poor and homeless. Don’t tell me you’ve “earned” the position you’re in now. Please; the vast majority of the world’s population toils to their deaths and never earn anything. Most Americans spend more money than they have just to convince others they’re not poor anyway. Your home, your car, your huge ass television and your fancy clothes are probably all loaned to you on credit.

I myself have been a phone call from my parents away from the threat of homelessness at least twice. I wouldn’t want to be homeless because I’d fear being harassed or beaten by the police and other thugs.

Why are the homeless treated as criminals and not victims? Why shouldn’t free toilets and showers be provided for them? Why don’t people give their used clothes to the homeless instead of Goodwill? I will admit; I was shocked to find myself having a hard time getting rid of an uneaten and still hot cup of soup I had accidentally ordered across the street from People’s Park in Berkeley, because nobody wanted it. How the hell could you be homeless and not want soup?

There are those who begrudge that many homeless are drug addicts and say they don’t give them money for fear they’ll spend it on drugs. I hate drugs, but not drug users. This is another case of treating victims as criminals as far as I’m concerned. I don’t care if the homeless spend their money on drugs, just as I don’t think it’s anybody’s business what I spend my money on (unless they’re loaning it to me).

I knew of a musician who consciously decided to break up with her boyfriend, sell everything she owned except her van and become a full-time drug addict. She eventually lost the van, too. This is an extreme example of irresponsibility, but hey, whatever happened to the American dream of following your bliss? I do not believe this is how most people become homeless, although others would disagree. I found this story appalling when I heard it, then considered that it wasn’t as annoying as all the musicians I was working with whose concern was whether or not their album would sell and not at all whether the music on them was any good.

Thank Ronald Reagan for the fact that many homeless have mental health issues and no access to treatment.

When I moved to the Bay Area, someone shared a tip regarding giving to the homeless that I still follow. Pick out one person (or two or six people if you’re better off than I) whose paths you cross regularly and sort of adopt them by giving to them more or less exclusively. This keeps the conscious clear while turning down money requests from others. Another benefit of this strategy is that the person becomes a person. You’ll find yourself missing them when you have your dollar ready to give and they’re not there. They’ll probably start wanting to have conversations with you (or is it that you'll want to start having conversations with them?). If you don’t have time to listen that day, you can honestly say, “I have to go now, but next time I’m by I hope to have more time to chat.” I also almost inevitably give money to street musicians because I used to be one. My current guy is super nice and hangs around the liquor store in St. John’s. He always says he's not going to use it for booze because he doesn’t drink, to which I respond, “I don’t care; that’s what I’m spending my money on.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually agree with you on something!!(most of it anyway). I've had conversations with several people stating I believe there should be a salary cap. Everyone I've mentioned this to thinks I'm nuts. I even made the cap something like $500,000 to 1 million a year. Who in the world needs an income more than that. Imagine how much better other workers could be paid.We ARE a greedy bunch in the USA. Dad

oudev oida said...

What's this talk of salary caps from a Yankee fan?

Anonymous said...

They should be included also.