Friday, April 3, 2009

Passivity

I have a very difficult time comprehending passive communicators. I see how it can be advantageous in business dealings, when you’re trying to con someone out of something, but in our personal lives, where we, to a large degree, get to choose who we hang out with, it doesn’t seem to have a place. Why try to con a friend or attempt to fool someone into thinking they like or agree with you?

It seems unfathomable to me that others expect me to read their mind or are too cowardly to express themselves forthrightly. In my view, life is too short to be hinted at. I wear my emotions on my forehead, and am often accused of over-sharing. It is rare that anybody wonders what my opinion on any topic is. I have no shame- if I want something, I ask for it; if I’m wrong, I admit it.

Some don’t like to be disagreed with, but I’m used to it. Most people disagree with me on most subjects, and yet I bluntly feel my philosophy on life is more accurate than any other I’ve come across. My arrogance is indomitable. I’ve been falling backwards on chairs my whole life, regardless of my mother’s countless warnings, simply because I enjoy leaning back on them.

Social and cultural taboos are ridiculous to me, so I don’t bother heeding them. An ethos’ sustainability is a horrible indicator of credibility. Few people honestly question anything; which allows nonsense to be believed for millennia. If you need evidence of this, you are evidence of this.

I do understand that many humans are fragile creatures that need to be treated delicately. Frankly, I avoid these people, because I do not relate to them. Call me immature. I relate much better to the culture of Star Trek’s Klingons, where the best way to earn another’s respect is with a strong right hook. I haven’t been in a good brawl in years, despite that fact that I am a loud-mouthed and brazen S-O-B. I think this is evidence enough of a real flaw in our system of etiquette.

2 comments:

E said...

Dude, I SO wish we could hang out some night. Catch up! I'd love to see how you and I get along now. You say what you think, and I tolerate a lot. HA!

You going to any opening day baseball? I'm checking my Cubs against the Astros in Minute Maid Park down here in Houston on Opening Day at the Park on Monday next week! Can't WAIT! Fixed a guy's wifi router and laptop to connect, and he gave me some SICK tickets! And hour's worth of work for $100 tickets! Sweeeeet!

oudev oida said...

that's awesome to see cubs/astros opener for freeish! I'm going to the Fresno Grizzlies/Portland Beavers AAA home opener. not QUITE the same....